Monday, October 21, 2019

Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather Henry B. Nave


Over fall break, I was able to travel back to Ohio to visit my family and friends. While I was there, I was able to meet with my grandfather on my dad’s side to discuss our family ancestors and their history. Originally, I agreed to write a paper on my grandfather’s father, but after I got to talking with him, I realized that I wanted to trace back my ancestry even more; all the way back to 1787 when my great great great great great grandfather was born.

On December 7 of 1787 in Greene County, Tennessee, Henry B Nave was born. He was the oldest and only male out of his five siblings: Mary Catherine, Elizabeth, Emma, Clara, and Annabelle. When he was 21 years old, he married Mary Elizabeth Brooks Squires in Cocke County, Tennessee. From there, they had 4 children: John, Henry, Issac, and Rebekah. My line of the Stout family was descended from his first born son, John. 

In addition to his family life, Henry B Nave also fought in the War of 1812 under Colonel Samuel Bunch’s Regiment Mounted East Tennessee Volunteers. This group was more commonly known as the 1st Regiment of Volunteer Mounted Infantry. After the war, he moved his family across the Mississippi all the way to Saline County, Missouri where he became a significant land owner. In 1832, he took part in the Black Hawk War, which was another conflict between the United States and the Native Americans. His first wife, Mary Elizabeth, passed away while he was off fighting in the Black Hawk war. A few years later, he remarried to a woman named Amanda Church where they had two children: David and Anthony.

Henry B Nave's gravemarker in our family cemetery in Saline County, Missouri. 
At ninety-six years old, my great great great great great grandfather passed away peacefully in his home in Saline County, Missouri on February 4, 1884. A few years ago, my grandfather went back to Missouri to see his brother and also visited the cemetery where he was buried on their land. Also, since cameras were invented in 1816 and they were not very easy to apprehend, there is no photograph of Henry B Nave ever taken. Instead, I choose to include the photos of his gravemarker that my grandfather took during his trip to Missouri. 

Henry B Nave's gravemarker side profile. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unitarian Church Top 10